[LAD] Fwd: Claim: Microsoft Pressured Digidesign to Deny Support of GNU/Linux

Erik de Castro Lopo mle+la at mega-nerd.com
Sat Aug 28 01:09:24 UTC 2010

Niels Mayer wrote:

> Comments anybody :-)
>
> http://techrights.org/2010/08/27/throwing-a-wrench-at-protools/
> I have heard from a reliable source, inside Digidesign, that they
> actually have Protools running on Linux, and that the port from OSX
> isn’t that hard, but are under contract obligation to Microsoft to not
> release a Linux port. Otherwise Microsoft can revoke their access to
> the Windows SDK.

Techrights is run be an over zealous idiot who probably does GNU/Linux
as much harm as he does it good.

However, I managed to track the source to a post on the Digidesign
we forum:

    http://duc.digidesign.com/showpost.php?p=1299413&postcount=10

The reponses to that post are all very keen on the idea of having
the Digidesign software and hardware available for Linux. They are
also spot on that once the Digidesign stuff is running on Mac OSX,
the move to Linux would be relatively simple.

Erik