[LAD] [OT] Richard Stallman warns against ChromeOS

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Fri Dec 17 11:26:15 UTC 2010

On Friday, December 17, 2010 06:13:53 am Ralf Mardorf did opine:

> On Fri, 2010-12-17 at 05:57 -0500, gene heskett wrote:

> > > Ok, my 40MB SCSI Seagate for the Atari is ok for more than 20 years,
> > > heavy usage, several startups a day. Sometimes I need to start it 2
> > > or 3 times, but than it's ok.

> > > For analog tapes Dirk Brauner had Telefunken machines that are as
> > > old as you are and they were better than a lot of modern machines
> > > ;).
> >
> > I'll have to call you on that one, Ralf.  It was some of your folks
> > that invented the wire recorder in about '38 or '39, and the coated
> > paper tape was sometime in the later 40's.  I was born in '34.
>
> I corrected myself, it's just because you're looking younger on your
> photos ;).

Of course I do, that pic on my front page is 6 years old now. ;-)

> Of cause, I guess the Telefunk - or was it AEG? - machines
> were without tubes. The magnetic tape head had visible slots.

The first Telefunken wire, or tape machines I saw, were definitely tubes.
And older types at that, 8 pin octal based stuff.  Yes folks, I have been
chasing electrons for a living for a long time.  And TBT, my first
experience with a wire machine was enough to break me of any further
interest.  No amount of level winding contraptions could stop the
backlashes & broken wire.  Not to mention the head wear rate was very high.
At least we could get 200-400 hours out of the first tape heads if we fed
then plastic tape.  Wire, maybe 50 hours as the wire sawed them deeply in
just a few hours.

> Because the tapes were stored spooled to the end, there even was no
> audible crosstalk at the beginning of the recordings.

Print through was a real problem in the early years.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)