[LAD] [ANN] MusE 2.0alpha

Philipp Überbacher hollunder at lavabit.com
Thu Dec 23 15:46:53 UTC 2010

Excerpts from Robert Jonsson's message of 2010-12-23 14:35:23 +0100:
> Hello everybody,
>
> We have a present for you, a new release of MusE.
> The alpha indicates this is an early version so it's mainly
> - a teaser to spread the word.
> - an early adopters build.
> - to welcome developers who want to port MusE to other platforms.
>
> MusE has now been completely ported to the Qt4 architecture and we (mainly
> Tim and Orcan)
> are busy to make it even better than before, lots of gui stuff being
> reworked.
> MusE now also sports a new version of the DeicsOnze, DX11 emulating
> softsynth, up from version 0.2 to 1.0.
> The homepage has received a new look that we hope will give a better
> indication of what MusE is and does.
> Do visit http://muse-sequencer.org.
>
> The full changelog is available at:
> http://lmuse.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/lmuse/trunk/muse2/ChangeLog?revision=674
>
> Find the download at:
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/lmuse/files/
>
> Happy Holidays!
> The MusE Team

Hi there,
I tried building muse to give it a spin today, but the build failed:

Linking CXX shared library libmuse_core.so
[ 90%] Built target core
Scanning dependencies of target muse
[ 90%] Building CXX object muse/CMakeFiles/muse.dir/main.o
Linking CXX executable muse2
midiedit/libmuse_midiedit.so: undefined reference to
`CtrlEdit::CtrlEdit(QWidget*, MidiEditor*, int, bool, char const*)'
midiedit/libmuse_midiedit.so: undefined reference to
`CtrlEdit::setTool(int)'
midiedit/libmuse_midiedit.so: undefined reference to
`CtrlEdit::writeStatus(int, Xml&)'
midiedit/libmuse_midiedit.so: undefined reference to
`CtrlEdit::setCanvasWidth(int)'
midiedit/libmuse_midiedit.so: undefined reference to
`CtrlEdit::readStatus(Xml&)'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [muse/muse2] Error 1
make[1]: *** [muse/CMakeFiles/muse.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2
    Aborting...

Arch Linux x86_64, gcc 4.5.1, qt 4.7.1

Anyway, upfront a couple of questions/suggestions.

website:
- Part Import/Export <- what does this refer to?
- Several types of audio tracks
      * Audio inputs
      * Audio outputs
      * Wave tracks    <- those sound weird, I hope I don't need to
create separate tracks for everything
- the following link (found here:
  http://muse-sequencer.org/index.php/Download) is more distracting than anything:
  http://sourceforge.net/scm/?type=svn&group_id=93414

building:
you seem to have switched to cmake but half way it seems. The build
instructions are rather weird and unusual for cmake.
creating build, cd'ing there and invoking cmake .. is not how it's
usually done.
Usually you configure using 'ccmake .' when you build manually or
-DCMAKE_BLA (which you do use) for automatic building.
A DESTDIR is a good thing to have since often enough software
is build in a chroot and hence "make install" as root will fail if it
tries to install into the real /usr.

Well, I'm looking forward to using a hopefully improved muse :)