[LAD] [ANN] MusE 2.0alpha

Robert Jonsson spamatica at gmail.com
Thu Dec 23 17:10:35 UTC 2010

Hello Philipp,

2010/12/23 Philipp Überbacher <hollunder at lavabit.com>

> Hi there,
> I tried building muse to give it a spin today, but the build failed:
>
> Linking CXX shared library libmuse_core.so
> midiedit/libmuse_midiedit.so: undefined reference to
> make: *** [all] Error 2
>    Aborting...

Hmm, no idea why this happens for you. Perhaps Orcan has some idea?

> Anyway, upfront a couple of questions/suggestions.
>
> website:
> - Part Import/Export <- what does this refer to?

Midi-parts are xml based and can be stored and retrieved from disk. This
gives the possibility to produce a library of parts. Creating a public
library of parts (mainly for drums) has been discussed.

> - Several types of audio tracks
>      * Audio inputs
>      * Audio outputs
>      * Wave tracks    <- those sound weird, I hope I don't need to

They are regular tracks where you can put/record wave-parts, if you tried
older versions of MusE this is nothing new.

> create separate tracks for everything
> - the following link (found here:
>  http://muse-sequencer.org/index.php/Download) is more distracting than
> anything:
>  http://sourceforge.net/scm/?type=svn&group_id=93414

Too much information? It's the standard sourceforge page, though you may be
right, we should probably rework that in the wiki.

> building:
> you seem to have switched to cmake but half way it seems. The build
> instructions are rather weird and unusual for cmake.
> creating build, cd'ing there and invoking cmake .. is not how it's
> usually done.
> Usually you configure using 'ccmake .' when you build manually or
> -DCMAKE_BLA (which you do use) for automatic building.
> A DESTDIR is a good thing to have since often enough software
> is build in a chroot and hence "make install" as root will fail if it
> tries to install into the real /usr.

I'm not convinced there is a usual way. Though you are right we are
beginners with cmake and it can probably be improved.
ccmake is just a curses frontend is it not? You can try to convince me but
instinctively I think we should steer clear of gui tools for building.

> Well, I'm looking forward to using a hopefully improved muse :)

Thank you, we will try to improve the build and get it compiling on all
systems we can :)

Regards,
Robert