[LAD] Program design: C++ -> SHM -> Python

Harry Van Haaren harryhaaren at gmail.com
Sun Dec 26 01:05:03 UTC 2010

Hi,

I've been trying to come up with a nice program architecture for a live
performance tool (Audio looping etc),
and I've kind of hit a wall:

Input will be taken via OSC, the "engine" will be written in C++, and the
GUI is up in the air.

I've written most of the engine, (working to a degree needs some bugfixes),
and now I've started implementing
the GUI in the same binary. Ie: its all compiled together, double-click it
and it shows on screen & loads JACK client.
The GUI code has a nasty habit of segfaulting.. which is also killing the
engine. That's a no-go for live performance.
The engine is rock solid stable. So its the fact that there's the GUI thread
running around that's segfault-ing things.

So I'm wondering if it feasible to keep the audio/other data in SHared
Memory, and then write the GUI in Python reading
from the same memory? Is this concidered "ugly" design? I have no experience
with SHM, so I thought I'd ask.

The other option I was concidering is writing the front-end GUI part using
only info obtained from OSC, but that would
exclude the waveforms of the audio, and lots of other nice features...

Help, advice, laughter etc welcomed  :-)  -Harry