[LAD] X Window Midi Arp Toy

Dave Phillips dlphillips at woh.rr.com
Thu Feb 11 16:13:44 UTC 2010

james morris wrote:
> Just one or two questions as there's no response to this from the three
> lists I've sent it to. I'm just being impatient, but not critical of
> the lack of response, and seeking some feedback about similar existing
> systems if any (which is something I'd not put as much consideration
> into when I originally posted this).

Funny thing: My next article for LJ is going to be about arpeggiators
and performance loopers. Here's the list for review so far:

SooperLooper - http://essej.net/sooperlooper/
Kluppe - http://kluppe.klingt.org/
FreeWheeling - http://freewheeling.sourceforge.net/
LoopDub - http://loopdub.sourceforge.net/

QMidiArp - http://alsamodular.sourceforge.net/
  QMidiArp commands -
http://www.linuxformat.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Audio_production_-_Sound_generation#QMidiArp_commands
Hypercyclic - http://www.mucoder.net/hypercyclic/
Arpage - http://sourceforge.net/projects/arpage/

I plan to add your app to the list, if you don't mind.

Anyone know of other similar apps for Linux ?

> Is this the type of thing which Pure Data and other graphical/audio
> programming tools can do fairly readily? PD is something I've never
> used and so am not aware of what can be or has been done with it. Are
> there implementations of this type of thing in PD etc?

Umm, actually I think there's nothing that can't be done with Pd. ;)

Frank Barknecht can say for sure if it's possible.

> Would creating an standalone app in C/C++ therefor be a waste of time?
>
> I've several ideas about what such an app would look like, and what
> further functionality could be developed using this concept (ie scales,
> split windows, choords, patterns, etc).
>
> To me this seems like a good idea for a sequencer/arpeggiator with a
> (very?0 different approach and I still think it has potential. Prove me
> wrong if you will.

A standalone app with GUI would be a Good Thing, IMO.

I haven't tested your script yet, James, but it is in the queue. :)

Best,

dp