[LAD] Science (OT)

Jane rdxesy at yahoo.de
Thu Jan 7 18:26:52 UTC 2010

On Jan 7, 2010, at 11:10, Renato wrote:

> with cell phones, for example. In Africa there are *wars* for
> tantalium mines (uh, don't expect to see it on the news), which is
> needed for small capacitors used in cell phones.
> going to the toilet, for example. Every time you flush the toilet you
> waste 5 liters of water (there are dry toilets, you know) while
> increasingly many are dying of thirst (not hunger, thirst).
>
> These are just two examples off the top of my head. It's just to point
> out that it's such a complex topic (how our lives DO influence [heavily]
> our ecosystem) that it's just plain silly to make fun of the whole thing
> like you're doing.

you realize that water, once used, can be reused? the water is never lost. and yeah, sadly there are wars out there. AFAIK those are mostly run by selfish people that wanna make profit in their little life and thats all.

but how does that proof any long term influence on the ecosystem (something that, if true, should *really* concern us all - i dont care about wars as long as i dont have to participate, i accept those as part of the world of today)? you have been told that only one small change can destory everything because its all connected. sure, it is all connected, obviously, but that doesn't mean that it can easily be brought to collapse by changing a couple of things!

if anything we should know by now that the world is more complex than we might have thought, and that we cannot conclude such things. for example, i could tell you that this system is so big and we are so small that its plain arrogant to believe that we could have any impact on it! my brain tells me that this is also a volid scenario.

Jan