[LAD] Hydrogen and jackmidi

alex stone compose59 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 17 11:24:13 UTC 2010

On Sun, Jan 17, 2010 at 2:57 PM, m.wolkstein at gmx.de <m.wolkstein at gmx.de> wrote:
> Am Sat, 16 Jan 2010 16:11:54 +0100
> schrieb Philipp Überbacher <hollunder at lavabit.com>:
>
>> Excerpts from Gabriel M. Beddingfield's message of Sat Jan 16 15:38:41 +0100 2010:

>> > Not really.  The developer list has had several requests for
>> > Hydrogen as LV2/DSSI plugin.  Meanwhile, the forums are full
>> > of requests for a sexier UI, MIDI Out, and a Windows vesion.
>> > Been pretty quiet on the JACK MIDI front, so I figured I
>> > was a loner.
>> >
>> > -gabriel
>> >

>> jack-midi++
>>
>> IMHO basically every linux audio app should support jack midi. It seems
>> to be not perfect but in most cases superior to alsa-seq

> than we can check them in.
>
> it's also possible to create a h2-lv2 plugin branche.
> here everybody can remove all the sequencer-stuff and qt bindings and create a nice lv2 gui.
> the working and stable result we can publish beside the normal h2 version.
>
> and some words to the h2 build-in-sequenzer.
> many people (including me) like them.
> its:
> *easy to use
> *stable!!!
> *offers human timing / velocity
> *pattern based
> *supports jack transport master and slave
> *comes with tap tempo and a nice beatcounter
> *including a time line (new in 0.9.5)
> *brings a lead lag property for each note
> *have destructive midi record function (new in 0.9.5)
> *experimental "non realtime" rubberband batch processor to recalculate sample length without pitching, if tempo will change.
>  usefully to fit loops to corresponding patterns.
>
> and the best, it works by simple clicking ore mouse moves. no complex thinks. usable
> after some seconds training period.
>
> greetings wolke

Wolke,

As this thread indicates, just posting an interest in seeing jackmidi
included has brought more than one response. As Gabriel seems to have
done a fair chunk of the coding already, and he's already indicated
his work seemed to be ignored for lack of interest from you chaps,
until this thread appeared anyway, it would seem to make sense to
include his code in the mainstream release as a matter of priority.

As more and more apps are built and upgraded with jackmidi, the one's
that don't will get left behind, and personally i'd hate to see
hydrogen become "old" for the lack of a professional component.

I'm aware of the virtues of Hydrogen, and it's one of the reasons i
use it, although your post seems to wander from the intent of this
thread, and that is the inclusion of jackmidi. The sequencer is a good
idea, and it would seem a worthy addition for multiple use cases.
Jackmidi has the same importance for our use cases, and Hydrogen,
imho, will benefit from having, for the first time, sample accurate
midi.

Alex.

Gabriel, if you wish to refine the jackmidi branch further, i'm
available for testing. Jackmidi is more important for me than anything
else at the moment, so i have a vested interest in co-operating with
you to see this particular component polished to stable maturity.

None of us are getting any younger. :)

--
www.openoctave.org

midi-subscribe at openoctave.org