[LAD] tschack ... early version of smp enabled jack1

torbenh torbenh at gmx.de
Tue Jan 26 16:00:51 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 11:01:53PM +0100, hollunder wrote:
> Excerpts from torbenh's message of Sun Jan 24 22:05:49 +0100 2010:
> >
> > hi...
> >
> > since i dont want to let jack1 codebase die in a feature freeze,
> > i added some features.
> >
> > - smp aware
> > - clickless connections
> >
> > these changes are too radical to be included in mainline jack1.
> > so it gets a new name.
> > its approaching beta status now. dunno... maybe someone is motivated to
> > test it.
> >
> > http://hochstrom.endofinternet.org/trac/tschack/wiki
>
> Thanks Torben, clickless connections sound interesting, smp is pointless
> on my current system. Nevertheless I'll package it for the Arch Linux
> User Repository, as mentioned on IRC today. I won't have a lot of time
> to test it in the near future, but it should make it a little bit easier
> for others.
>
> I have a few questions tough:
> 1) Is it a full replacement for jack1? I assume it is, but you never

yup. its basically jack1 with a pretty big patch.

> know..
> 2) Is there a chance that it will be merged back to jack1 someday?

no chance at all. jack1 is in almost feature frozen.
the only update it will see is the new latency API

this is also such a big change, that most experience with the old
codebase is not valid for this one.

jack1 is supposed to be rock-solid, based on several years of experience
with this mechanism. ripping the guts out, and turning it upside down,
and afterwards "selling" it to users as the "rock solid jack1" isnt
fair.

this is a new implementation, and it needs to gain trust by itself.

that said, it survives bad treatment by the oom guys without xruns.
i basically consider it more robust than jack1, but since we only have
2-3 days experience with it, we cant be sure that its bug-free.

> Thanks,
> Best regards,
> Philipp

torben Hohn