[LAD] Routing signals in mixer (Ardour, Qtractor)

Louigi Verona louigi.verona at gmail.com
Wed Jul 7 07:49:02 UTC 2010

Hello!

Both Ardour and Qtractor are capable sequencers. Ardour is getting midi
soon, Qtractor is getting automation. All of this is good news.

I was wondering if the devs are interested in implementing routing signals
in a mixer as the next important priority. This would allow not only effects
chains which is usually very useful, but also usage of vocoders.
At the moment it is impossible to use a vocoder plugin inside Ardour or
Qtractor.

The beauty of vocoders is that they can be used not only on voice, but as
electronic instruments as well. I am often using them to create beautiful
textures, but in order for the result to be good,
I need to automate parameters of the vocoder. LADSPA Vocoder, for instance,
is capable of generating very beautiful sounds, but only if you can change
the bands in real time, fade the in and out.
Of course, sometimes it can be recorded live, but in many cases it needs to
be automated and stored in a project.

Tell me what you think.

--
Louigi Verona