[LAD] Routing signals in mixer (Ardour, Qtractor)

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Wed Jul 7 08:02:37 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-07-07 at 11:49 +0400, Louigi Verona wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Both Ardour and Qtractor are capable sequencers. Ardour is getting
> midi soon, Qtractor is getting automation. All of this is good news.
>
> I was wondering if the devs are interested in implementing routing
> signals in a mixer as the next important priority. This would allow
> not only effects chains which is usually very useful, but also usage
> of vocoders.
> At the moment it is impossible to use a vocoder plugin inside Ardour
> or Qtractor.
>
> The beauty of vocoders is that they can be used not only on voice, but
> as electronic instruments as well. I am often using them to create
> beautiful textures, but in order for the result to be good,
> I need to automate parameters of the vocoder. LADSPA Vocoder, for
> instance, is capable of generating very beautiful sounds, but only if
> you can change the bands in real time, fade the in and out.
> Of course, sometimes it can be recorded live, but in many cases it
> needs to be automated and stored in a project.
>
> Tell me what you think.

You should send the link of a demonstration, how you wish to be able to
use a vocoder, but only this mail.

I know what you wish to be able to do with Linux and I'm sure Rui knows
it too, but perhaps you should send more details to LAD.

Full ACK regarding to your wish (because I know what possibilities you
need, but your needs are not clear by this email, IIRC you once send a
very good YouTube example to another list, unfortunately I need to
restore the mails, because a HDD is broken, so please post it here too).

- Ralf