[LAD] Tests directly routing pc's midi-in to midi-out (was: Re: ALSA MIDI latency test results are far away from reality)

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Fri Jul 16 09:46:43 UTC 2010

On Friday 16 July 2010 09:50:39 Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-07-15 at 09:56 +0200, Arnold Krille wrote:
> > You really should do that test first before speculating about the outcome
> > and your audience.
> Btw. I tested my own music.
> First I played inside songs from other people a Ralf-mastering of my own
> music.
> Most people didn't like my song.
> Some weeks later I played the same song inside other songs from other
> people by a loudness-war-mastering.
> Most people liked the song.
> Playing the same song two times can't be called heavy rotation, hence
> they were not accustomed to my song, but they need a bad mastering to be
> fine with this song.
> A blind study is useless regarding to musical issues.

Apples and oranges.

You are working on midi-latency-jitter. Which is measurable. And the test is
when the jitter becomes unbearable.

Taste on the other thing is not measurable and while you could quantify it,
common sense says that taste-minorities are valuable too...

> Or do you think we should start mixing music optimised to loudness,
> because tests show that the audience prefers music without dynamic?

Taste-minorities. You play your dynamic-rich songs to fans of classical music
and see their reactions. If you can distinguish the "like it because of
dynamics" from the "don't like it because of rock-vs-classical". Which just
shows that taste is not measurable.

And no, pop industry doesn't measure taste, it just measures profit.

Have fun,

Arnold