[LAD] Floating point processing and high dynamic range audio

Jörn Nettingsmeier nettings at folkwang-hochschule.de
Wed Jul 21 18:19:46 UTC 2010

On 07/21/2010 08:56 PM, JohnLM wrote:

> If I code program to handle attenuation of sounds depending on their
> source (emitter) position in virtual 3D space, I guess then there's no
> simple way to relate the effect to real world.
> How this is usually handled?

you reduce the level with distance (amount depends on whether you are in
the near or far field and whether you have a point, line or planar
source), and attenuate the high frequencies to simulate air damping. if
you're in an enclosed space, you'd also want to take into account the
dry-to-reverb ratio, and ideally simulate correct early reflections.