[LAD] STEREO RULES

Harry Van Haaren harryhaaren at gmail.com
Wed Jul 21 20:31:39 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 9:14 PM, Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net>wrote:

> People today aren't able to do a good stereo or mono mix, e.g. because
> of the loudness war, but they are thinking of doing 3D mixes.
>
> I'm unable to follow this strange evolution.

That's ok. I don't understand DSP. I don't think anybody understands
everything.
But please have some respect for other peoples projects / jobs / hobbies
etc.

> We all have 2 ears and 1 brain that has to do a lot of work, regarding
> to information from the sense organs. The brain needs to do math because
> usually the left and right ear are not equal, so even when wearing a
> head phone the brain needs the context of the situation and the perfect
> natural loudness etc. for this context.
>
> All thoughts about doing 3D are useless until we aren't able to connect
> electrodes directly to our brains and to have a rimming regarding to our
> brains.

I don't fully know what your trying to get at here, but I'm sure your aware
that
each persons ears are unique, and hence as the brain "un-filters" audio and
makes
sense of it, it takes the filtering of the ears' shape into account and can
construct
a better understanding of the audio.
This is simple not possible with sterio. Or mono for that matter.
Ambisonics, or
5.1 setups do allow for these principles to be used.

> As long as Cochlear implant isn't good, any try to do 3D mixing is
> laughable, resp. a pain, just try to watch AND hear a modern film, it's
> a torture.
>
> There are some good mixes for stereo and mono, but at least I never
> heard a valid mix with more but one ore two channels.

Again I'm struggling to see what your saying with regards to the cochlear
implant,
but again I'll request you to respect other people, and thier work. After
all, who knows,
maybe they wanted to do a sterio mix, but thier company said "no we do 5.1".

-Harry