[LAD] STEREO RULES

Lorenzo lsutton at libero.it
Thu Jul 22 10:12:09 UTC 2010

Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> People today aren't able to do a good stereo or mono mix, e.g. because
> of the loudness war, but they are thinking of doing 3D mixes.
>
> I'm unable to follow this strange evolution.

I did have a bit of mistrust in 3D (although with less extreme feelings
than yours), and especially based on cheezy and naive use in many films...
That was till we did an ambisonics recording and playback experiment,
also comparing other 2-dimensional recording configurations. You should
really try it!

Also 3D meaning more than 2 channels positioned in space has lots of
creative potential (i.e. not using it to reproduce a recorded sonic
space, but creating it from zero)

Lorenzo.