[LAD] Attenuation of sounds in 3D space

Chris Cannam cannam at all-day-breakfast.com
Thu Jul 22 14:29:01 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 12:48 PM, Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com> wrote:
> you don't ned anything fancy to listen to B-format
> recordings, and one of the major reasons for that is fons' open source
> decoder that will allow you to listen to them with any jack-enabled
> audio player and your existing equipment.

Question that just occurred to me.  I'm very ignorant about spatial
audio, and although I'm sure several of my colleagues could tell me
this, I thought it might be sort of on-topic here.  Is it possible, or
easy, or sensible, or worthwhile, to reduce a B-format recording into
stereo in multiple different ways in order to achieve different
subjective "listener position" results when using headphones?

Chris