[LAD] Attenuation of sounds in 3D space

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Thu Jul 22 14:35:15 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 10:29 AM, Chris Cannam
<cannam at all-day-breakfast.com> wrote:
> Question that just occurred to me.  I'm very ignorant about spatial
> audio, and although I'm sure several of my colleagues could tell me
> this, I thought it might be sort of on-topic here.  Is it possible, or
> easy, or sensible, or worthwhile, to reduce a B-format recording into
> stereo in multiple different ways in order to achieve different
> subjective "listener position" results when using headphones?

my limited understanding  is this: the B-format data encodes the
source position relative to some defined point in space. the decoder
can map the "origin" used to define the positional space however it
wants to. whether or not any decoders actually offer any control over
this is another matter.