[LAD] twice as loud

fons at kokkinizita.net fons at kokkinizita.net
Thu Jul 22 21:13:45 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 10:50:58PM +0200, Philipp Überbacher wrote:

> We may be comparing the wrong thing when we compare with the size of
> objects to loudness.

Indeed. I did not mention the visual analogy to suggest
that the two domains are similar - rather to point out
they are not. Something that works for one of them does
not for the other.

> I wonder how well we can judge something like twice the
> brightness.

Same problem. I gues we can't. Or that whatever value
of 'double' we arrive at will be without meaning.

My guess so far, but I have *NO* scientific evidence at
all to support it, just some intuition, is that human
perception of loudness of a sound is somehow related to
the extent that a particular sound does prevent us to
detect other known sounds, i.e. to masking effects.

CIao,

--
FA

There are three of them, and Alleline.