[LAD] announcing envy24control, mudita (*) edition.

Tim E. Real termtech at rogers.com
Mon Jul 26 07:29:13 UTC 2010

On July 25, 2010 08:00:23 pm you wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 25, 2010 at 3:57 PM, Tim E. Real <termtech at rogers.com> wrote:
> > CPU 20% on idle, and when adjusting sliders it's around 50%. All OK.
> Is this more CPU load or less than the original envy24control? It
> should be a lot less load.
Oops, don't know where that 20% came from. Something must have been running.
Both mixers consume nothing until woken up, and then as a silly test I
 operated the sliders, original consumes ~30% new one ~50%, but of course
 that's probably just because they do a bit more work now when operated.
When I provide some input and watch the meters, still no CPU consumption.
Is there some test you want me to do?
It's a 32 bit system, btw.

> If anybody has suggestions on shrinking the sliders in "Analog
> Volumes" I'm all ears. I was a but stumped at their resistance to
> changing height, and gave up.
Did some coding... Yep, gtk_scale sure is rather unforgiving
 in its spread. It is the number of marks causing this.
We ask it for fifteen ADC slider markings, and it does this ?
I even tried xx-small font size (which still looks good), but no change.
And I tried removing the texts, leaving just the ticks. No change.

Niels, please do the following (sorry I don't have a patch for you),
 trust me it will look great at the expense of only 28 extra pixels for
 the minimum height over the original - it's all you can really do, man:

Remove the -72 and -108 dB marks on all the monitor sliders
 in volume.c: draw_24bit_attenuator_scale_markings().

Remove the -42 and -54 dB marks from the DAC sliders in
 volume.c: draw_dac_scale_markings().

Remove the -18, -30, -42, -54, -60 dB markings from the ADC
 sliders in volume.c:draw_adc_scale_markings().

Change the level meter heights by changing
 gtk_widget_set_usize(drawing, 24, (60 * tall_equal_mixer_ht + 204));
 gtk_widget_set_usize(drawing, 24, (60 * tall_equal_mixer_ht + 168));

 in envy24control.c: create_mixer_frame().

Trust me they'll love it !

I just noticed that the upper red part of all the meters are gone.
Any plans to re-instate that red coloured portion?
I fear a backlash on that.

IIRC I observed behaviour you described about the last slider marks
 requiring no text. Seemed that if you give the last mark text,
 it goes ahead and puts a blank one at the end? Not sure.

> > I too noticed odd monitor and volume slider behaviour, not present
> >  in the original mixer.
> > The slider knobs have a large amount of 'hysteresis', that is they
> >  don't move until you move the mouse a large amount.
I did not take a look at the slider 'hysteresis' problem though, sorry.

Have great day and a better tomorrow.
Tim.