[LAD] Document on using Jack Apps

Arvind Venkatasubramanian mdu.arvind at gmail.com
Sat Jul 31 22:23:07 UTC 2010

Hello:

I am very much new to Linux and Linux audio.  I am trying to measure audio
IO latency for my system.
Jdelay seems to be the right tool but when I run it on the terminal, I am
getting message "Signal below threshold..." which probably might be because
Jack is trying to capture audio and ends up getting the low noise floor
because I do not have meaningful signal source connected.  But then I tried
to patch the this App to the qJACKctl app but the settings console is
not straight forward to interpret. as it involved many parameters.

I guess there are # of frames per period that may eventually be used
to calculate the target latency but *is there a step-by step document
description for Jdelay and any other JACK tools and also using JACK audio
server in an effective manner*?  Also, qJACKctl console does not offer
options for very low sampling rates like 8 KHz.  With ALSA, this should be
possible but may be this particular tool does not support it.  Can anyone
help here?

Thanks,
-F