[LAD] Looking for the cause of pulsating noises

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Fri Jun 11 13:12:57 UTC 2010

Olivier Guilyardi wrote:
> He also reported the following: "if I rig up a TRRS 3.5 mm jack to XLR adapter
> and use a "real" microphone the recording seems to be clean (though with other
> issues, perhaps ground loops or impedance mismatch or something)".

*!*

> On the software side, couldn't a sample rate conversion produce that kind of
> pulsations? I'm not doing any, but I haven't checked Android sources about this.

I don't have knowledge about this and at the moment I'm a little bit
pissed of all the issues we could get, when using the computer ;).
I tend a little bit to prefer analog equipment at the moment, but your
noise issue could be an anlog issue :D.

Regarding to this or similar strange pulsations, I heard this for
recordings done with cheap consumer microphones and cables using analog
equipment.

No doubt, there are all kinds of issues possible, regarding to the
digital domain, but this noise or a similar noise is something I *very
often* heard for recordings done with (very) cheap consumer equipment.

:)
Ralf