[LAD] Looking for the cause of pulsating noises

Olivier Guilyardi list at samalyse.com
Fri Jun 11 13:53:51 UTC 2010

On 06/11/2010 03:12 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> Olivier Guilyardi wrote:
>> He also reported the following: "if I rig up a TRRS 3.5 mm jack to XLR
>> adapter
>> and use a "real" microphone the recording seems to be clean (though
>> with other
>> issues, perhaps ground loops or impedance mismatch or something)".
>>

> *!*
>
>> On the software side, couldn't a sample rate conversion produce that
>> kind of
>> pulsations? I'm not doing any, but I haven't checked Android sources
>> about this.
>>

> I don't have knowledge about this and at the moment I'm a little bit
> pissed of all the issues we could get, when using the computer ;).
> I tend a little bit to prefer analog equipment at the moment, but your
> noise issue could be an anlog issue :D.

Old school mood I see ;)

> Regarding to this or similar strange pulsations, I heard this for
> recordings done with cheap consumer microphones and cables using analog
> equipment.
>
> No doubt, there are all kinds of issues possible, regarding to the
> digital domain, but this noise or a similar noise is something I *very
> often* heard for recordings done with (very) cheap consumer equipment.

Okay, that's precious informations. I wasn't sure this could come from the mic,
but you're making it clear that it's much probable.

By the way, this is all about low-end (or very miniaturized) stuff, but also
real world: a lot of musicians find it handy to have a recorder in their phone.
Of course that's more about recording rehearsals than concerts.

--
  Olivier