[LAD] Qt GUI for LV2 Plugin

Jeremy jeremybubs at gmail.com
Sat Jun 12 19:38:42 UTC 2010

On Sat, Jun 12, 2010 at 3:14 PM, Gabriel M. Beddingfield <gabrbedd at gmail.com
> wrote:

> On Sat, 12 Jun 2010, Jeremy wrote:
>
>  Can you tell me where I might find some documentation on the external UI
>> extension?  When I followed that link, I followed the URI in the header
>> file
>>
>> #define LV2_EXTERNAL_UI_URI "http://lv2plug.in/ns/extensions/ui#external"
>>

> The header is also the documentation, as is the DSSI-like universal
> "wrapper" example.
>

>  If that is the *internal* UI extension, and seperate from the *external*
>> UI
>> extension, is there some other wiki page about the external UI extension?
>>
>> Also, what is the difference?  I understand the concept of an external UI,
>> which is a seperate window launched by the plugin host which controls the
>> plugin inputs, but I don't really understand what an internal UI would be.
>> Wouldn't that just be the generic GUI generated by the host?
>>

> The difference:
>
> How does the UI and the plugin communicate?
>
>    Internal: Via LV2 Event messages.
>    External: Via any inter-process communication system
>              you can figure out... often OSC.
>
> Who does the UI communicate with?
>
>    Internal: The LV2 host application.
>    External: The plugin via the IPC mechanism.
>
> Who does the plugin communicate with?
>
>    Internal: The LV2 host application.
>    External: Both the LV2 host application and
>              anyone connected to it's IPC channel.
>
> Who is responsible for drawing the GUI components?
>
>    Internal: The LV2 host application.
>    External: An external process is spawned and
>              is responsible for all I/O.
>
> Hope this helps!
>
> -gabriel

Thanks, that helps a lot.

Now that I understand things better, I think I realize that using an
internal UI would be more what I want.  If there is already a system in
place for communicating basic input controls, I don't see why I should
reinvent it simply to use Qt widgets.  However, the fact that I was referred
to using external_ui seems to imply that an internal Qt Gui is not possible.
 The fact that ui:GtkGUI exists and ui:QtGUI does not also seems to indicate
so.

This<http://lists.lv2plug.in/pipermail/devel-lv2plug.in/2010-March/000505.html>mailing
list post says "If
you want to write a Qt GUI, make a URI for a Qt UI type, and

implement it just as the Gtk ones do."

Since I can't find any URI for Qt GUIs, does this mean that it hasn't
been made yet?  Or have things changed since that post?

Jeremy