[LAD] Qt GUI for LV2 Plugin

Gabriel M. Beddingfield gabrbedd at gmail.com
Sat Jun 12 19:52:37 UTC 2010

On Sat, 12 Jun 2010, Jeremy wrote:

> internal UI would be more what I want.  If there is already a system in
> place for communicating basic input controls, I don't see why I should
> reinvent it simply to use Qt widgets.  However, the fact that I was referred
> to using external_ui seems to imply that an internal Qt Gui is not possible.
> The fact that ui:GtkGUI exists and ui:QtGUI does not also seems to indicate
> so.

The bottom line is this:

A. If you want to stick with Qt and have minimal hassles
implementing your plugin, go with the external UI.

B. If you really want an internal UI and want to have
minimal hassles implementing your plugin, switch to GTK+ (or
gtkmm) and use the internal extension.

C. If you really want Qt /and/ internal, then be prepared to
pave roads for everyone else.  :-)

D. <flamebait>Establish an extention that is analog to
VSTGUI, where the plugins abstractly define their GUI and
the host is responsible for drawing them.</flamebait>  If
you go this route, you'll need to talk/argue it out on the
LV2 dev list.

All of these are fully respectible options.

> This<http://lists.lv2plug.in/pipermail/devel-lv2plug.in/2010-March/000505.html>mailing
> list post says "If
> you want to write a Qt GUI, make a URI for a Qt UI type, and
>
> implement it just as the Gtk ones do."
>
> Since I can't find any URI for Qt GUIs, does this mean that it hasn't
> been made yet?  Or have things changed since that post?

That is correct... no QtUI type.  Since Drobilla said that
to me, I have been occupied elsewhere.  I fully intend to
make option C work, if at all possible.

Torben came up with some stuff that worked back-and-forth
using XEmbed... but there was one direction that we couldn't
get to work.  (I think we couldn't get a GTK widget to take
ownership of the Qt Widget...)

-gabriel