[LAD] audio/midi app development

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at gmail.com
Thu Jun 17 14:42:33 UTC 2010

On Thursday 17 June 2010, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>Philipp Überbacher wrote:
>> Excerpts from Gene Heskett's message of 2010-06-17 01:32:00 +0200:
>>>
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> Try
>>> <http://www.linuxcnc.org/hardy/ubuntu-8.04-desktop-emc2-aj07-i386.iso>
>>>

>>>     --Top 100 things you don't want the sysadmin to say
>>
>> Thanks, I found it eventually (I'm really bad at using search engines).
>> Quite interesting, it uses a RTAI patched kernel. I also read this has a
>> module to disable SMIs, which is kind of hard to believe..
>>
>> At my school we transfered the CAD files per floppy to a DOS box that
>> controlled the CNC machine, guess that's for the same reason, bad rt
>> capabilities of newer OSes and machines.
>
>Never ever! I bet the DOS machine 'controls' micro controllers used by
>the CNC machine. Imagine a conical object where you wish to engrave a
>word in a reasonable time. Have fun using my computer + a Linux kernel
>rt (or any windows rt) to do this ;).

Chuckle.  We have SW that can take your name, wrap it around a beer can
sized object, and once the code is correct, carve your name on that cylinder
in maybe a minute.  That would take a machine setup with 4 axis control,
which mine is.  And all 4 axis motors are controlled by step and direction
controls over a single parport.  Using xylotex motor drivers.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)