[LAD] audio/midi app development

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Thu Jun 17 20:44:19 UTC 2010

Gordon JC Pearce wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-06-17 at 00:08 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>

>> Don't believe me, but ask some classic musicians to do some MIDI
>> recordings using Linux + external equipment (internal Linux MIDI is ok)
>> and then ask them, if they are fine with the result.
>>

> Do it with Windows, or Mac OSX for that matter.  PC hardware (and Macs
> really are just PCs, now) cannot - for some odd reason - keep time.
>
> The 2MHz 6809 in my ESQ-1 is rock solid - absolutely dead even.  Same
> with the 8MHz 68000 in an Atari ST; Cubase 3 is still my favourite
> sequencer.  No "slop" at all.  Why can't a 3.4GHz Athlon get even close
> to that?
>
> Gordon MM0YEQ

The C64 had no jitter but it wasn't able to record real human touch.
I've got an Atari ST with the latest Atari Cubase version, it's also
without jitter and for most cases it has enough ticks.

Btw. I did run the EMC2 / HAL latency test and max jitter was < 8000 ns,
so this latency test might show that some parts of my computer are ok.
Kernel for the EMC2 live cd is a rtai patched one.

Joshua Boyd wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 10:37:25AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
>

>>> At my school we transfered the CAD files per floppy to a DOS box that
>>> controlled the CNC machine, guess that's for the same reason, bad rt
>>> capabilities of newer OSes and machines.
>>>
>> The RTAI works pretty well, I can start a job, switch away from that window,
>> and talk to the guys on IRC, or browse the web without hurting the job.
>> That to me is true multitasking.
>>

> So, that leaves me wondering why no one seems to be trying RTAI for
> audio work?  Or is someone doing that and I'm just not aware?

*?*

Cheers!

Ralf