[LAD] automation on Linux (modular approach)

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Thu Mar 18 23:40:57 UTC 2010

rosea grammostola wrote:
> Thanks Ralf (qtractor) and Chris (rosegarden) for taking the time to
> give comments on my post.
>
> I believe the comments of Ralf about Qtractor, so it is doing the job
> pretty well, with an drawing curve.
> But qtractor is not really an modular approach focusing application.
>
> Non-daw and non-mixer are ( http://non.tuxfamily.org/ ) and in my post I
> quoted:
>
>>> Damn, this should be a lot easier. Even the ancient Cakewalk was
>>> lightyears better.
>>> _I think we have a great opportunity here for some developer to make
>>> the world a better place. Simply make *non-daw's* timeline
>>> controllers output midi CCs"_
>>>
> This is actually possible as I found in the non-mixer manual:
>
> "1.1.2.3.1.3.1. Control Voltages
>
> The control voltage concept should be familiar to anyone who has
> experience with analog modular synthesizers. MIDI, while having definite
> advantages in many respects, multiplexes control data in such a way as
> to make connecting one MIDI control to a parameter involve a significant
> inconvenience, usually requiring the adjustment of settings on both ends
> of the connection in order to separate the control data streams.
>
> Control Voltages, on the other hand, provide a simple 1:1 source to sink
> relationship and offer much higher resolution, both in time and value,
> than can be natively expressed through MIDI. The chief advantage of CV
> in the context of Non-DAW is the ease with which an control sequence can
> be connected to a mixer module parameter. If you have a MIDI controller
> that you'd like to use to control parameters of Non-Mixer, consider
> /jm2cv/, a JACK MIDI to Control Voltage daemon which was written by
> Peter Nelson specifically for use with Non-Mixer. jm2cv can be acquired by:
>
> git clone git://fuzzle.org/jm2cv.git "
>

> http://non-mixer.tuxfamily.org/MANUAL.html#n:1.1.2.3.1.3.1.
>
> That makes the state of automation on Linux, with the modular approach a
> lot better :)
>

> All though... it appears that there are at least two existing problems
> right now:
>
>    1. Zynaddsubfx/ yoshimi and probably other standalone synths, doesn't
>       have an very good midi mapping.
>    2. Non-Mixer doesn't support LV2 (they are working on dssi, they
>       support ladspa) and they are not planning to do so.
>

> About point 1, it would be nice if the developers of standalone
> application make automation / midi mapping as good as possible. PHASEX
> seems to be a good example.
>
> About point 2, I don't see a way to do automation with LV2 plugins, when
> you work the modular way, right now. If I'm right that's a real lacking
> point. In my opinion, it would be a missed chance if non-mixer will not
> support LV2 plugins, and I know I'm not the only Linux audio user who is
> thinking so.
>
> What is needed here I think, is an (external, non non-dev) developer who
> [...]

I didn't know Non-Mixer :).

Because of CV gate vs MIDI, here "we" spend a lot of money to MIDIfy CV
gate synth, because of the advantages MIDI has got ;).

Anyway, I guess I do understand what you are talking about. And even if
I never ever will change from Linux to any other OS, I'm whining because
of Linux audio each day ;).

As I've written before, subscribe to the Qtractor devel mailing list and
tease Rui :D.
Qtractor is a really cool sequencer. Perhaps Ardour3 is a cool sequencer
too, I don't know it.