[LAD] automation on Linux (modular approach)

Louigi Verona louigi.verona at gmail.com
Sat Mar 20 09:43:29 UTC 2010

alex stone wrote:
"The weight of alternate responses seems to be geared toward a precise
definition of the use of automation, for a particular use case, which
is outside of the worklfow of some."

Yes, indeed. I, for instance, is an electronic musician. I do not record
stuff,
I do not have takes. For me automation is close to 60-70% of the work,
because
my tunes are tunes of sound manipulation. Most electronic music is not note
based
music, that is, its beauty lies not in the notes it plays, but in the way
sound is manipulated,
arrangement is built. For me automation is as important as an ability to
have a master sync.
And automation is being put on a lot of things - on a lot of parameters of
synthesizers,
on volume, panning, gating and God knows how many things.

And at the same time my music is not "experimental" music like they do with
CSound.
It is ambient, dub, it is usually pretty sweet to the ears (that is, no
harsh, non-melodic sounds)
and to a person who is not familiar with the process of creation of such a
music it may be
of a surprise that doing such music takes so much delicate tweaking.

Louigi.