[LAD] [Release] Autotalent LV2 Port

Jostein Chr. Andersen jostein at vait.se
Sun May 30 09:20:41 UTC 2010

Hi Jeremy,

söndag 30 maj 2010 07.13.14 skrev  Jeremy:
> Hi all,
>
> I just finished up my port of Autotalent (A real-time pitch manipulation
> program by Tom Baran) to an LV2 plugin (Okay, It's not finished, but all
> the important features are there.)
>
> It should work basically the same as Autotalent except:

Nice work, or perhaps great work! I know that many people want your additions
of Autotalent. :-)

That leads me into thinking: Perhaps you should rename your project as soon as
possible to something different? I mean, you have many new features (and will
possibly come up with more), refactoring has being done and your program is an
LV2 plugin witch act more as a fork that take a new direction compared to
Autotalent.

Why do I care? Well, the reason is that it's will not be a big surprise if Tom
Baran comes up with an LV2 version of the plugin while the program still
continues as it did as a LADSPA plugin. After a look at Autotalent's website,
it seem to me that Tom Baran continues to develop Autotalent.

This will in that case lead us into a situation where we have two plugins with
wich goes in to (very) different directions while have a common ground idea
and and names: Autotalent and autotalentlv2. I can imagine that it's not very
cool if the original Autotalent also acts as an LV2 plugin and perhaps come up
with MIDI support in the future. And why the "LV2" in the name anyway?

All the Q*'s, G*'s, *K*'s and *LV2's in the project names are probably one of
the biggest reasons that keeps the world from adapting it to use Linux apps
when making music and use Linux at all. Q's, G's, K's and in some respect LV2
are for people that already know about toolkits, desktop environments and what
they like - It's very confusing for newbies, and the Linux world have confused
the rest of the word in at least 15 years now.

That said, kudos to you for bringing up Tom Baran and Autotalent in the light
and giving him credit. You and Tom Baran have delivered two great apps, but
your project is already a grown up one and have it's own character - it
deserves it's own name.

Jostein