[LAD] What do you do for a living?

Philipp Überbacher hollunder at lavabit.com
Wed Nov 10 20:31:41 UTC 2010

Excerpts from Kris C's message of 2010-11-10 04:17:24 +0100:
> Hi all,
>
> I understand that a lot of you develop for free software and are
> passionate at what you do.  But how do you pay the bills?  What do you
> do for a living?  Are you a student?  Do you do software development
> just as a hobby, or do you want to make a living doing this kind of work?
>
> The reason I ask this is because I am curious about what kind of
> backgrounds a free software developer has.  As for me, I am a student
> majoring in Music and minoring in Computer Science.  I got the idea of
> writing this email, actually, because Google had an internship panel at
> my school.  Google just loooooves open source and those involved.  It
> sounds like Google has quite a friendly and cooperative working
> atmosphere, and they treat their employees very well.  Yeah, I'd like to
> work for Google, but who doesn't right? :)
>
> -Kris

Well, I don't :)

I'm not much of a developer and just started to study computing
sciences. I hope to be able to make a decent living as a software
developer at some point, but it's not about the money, obviously,
otherwise I'd study something else. Sure it would be nice to do
something music related, but I think its hard to make a living of it.