[LAD] What do you do for a living?

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Wed Nov 10 20:52:08 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-11-10 at 21:31 +0100, Philipp Überbacher wrote:
> Excerpts from Kris C's message of 2010-11-10 04:17:24 +0100:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I understand that a lot of you develop for free software and are
> > passionate at what you do.  But how do you pay the bills?  What do you
> > do for a living?  Are you a student?  Do you do software development
> > just as a hobby, or do you want to make a living doing this kind of work?
> >
> > The reason I ask this is because I am curious about what kind of
> > backgrounds a free software developer has.  As for me, I am a student
> > majoring in Music and minoring in Computer Science.  I got the idea of
> > writing this email, actually, because Google had an internship panel at
> > my school.  Google just loooooves open source and those involved.  It
> > sounds like Google has quite a friendly and cooperative working
> > atmosphere, and they treat their employees very well.  Yeah, I'd like to
> > work for Google, but who doesn't right? :)
> >
> > -Kris
>
> Well, I don't :)
>
> I'm not much of a developer and just started to study computing
> sciences. I hope to be able to make a decent living as a software
> developer at some point, but it's not about the money, obviously,
> otherwise I'd study something else. Sure it would be nice to do
> something music related, but I think its hard to make a living of it.

Never ever I would work for Google :)

it's true, among other things they created an atmosphere that please the
needs of highly gifted people and it's no fun to work in an 'averaged'
atmosphere when you aren't 'normal'. Indeed a 'subtle' trick to catch
'unwanted' people.

OTOH it's your choice to shit on ethics ;), because Google shits on
ethics.

I very often have less to eat, just worn out clothes etc. and need to do
work in an atmosphere for idiots, but for people with an IQ ex 130. Who
cares?

This planet is overcrowded, so we don't need to have children, hence we
don't need to have a fix, regular income.

2 Cents,

Ralf