[LAD] What do you do for a living?

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Wed Nov 10 22:23:33 UTC 2010

Hi,

On Wednesday 10 November 2010 04:17:24 Kris C wrote:
> I understand that a lot of you develop for free software and are
> passionate at what you do.  But how do you pay the bills?  What do you
> do for a living?  Are you a student?  Do you do software development
> just as a hobby, or do you want to make a living doing this kind of work?

Many people on this list work "regular" jobs and only do audio programming for
fun in their free time.
Some (like me) also do programming in their job, some do music or music-
engineering for their job.
I think only a small fraction here does linux-audio-programming for a living,
but these exists!

> The reason I ask this is because I am curious about what kind of
> backgrounds a free software developer has.  As for me, I am a student
> majoring in Music and minoring in Computer Science.  I got the idea of
> writing this email, actually, because Google had an internship panel at
> my school.  Google just loooooves open source and those involved.  It
> sounds like Google has quite a friendly and cooperative working
> atmosphere, and they treat their employees very well.  Yeah, I'd like to
> work for Google, but who doesn't right? :)

I read some scary stories about the application process at google. Better
start your application now otherwise you might be unemployed for two years
before they finally hire you (or not).

But even if they aren't always the "good" (the cases where they where the
"bad" or the "ugly" are actually much less then with other big it-firms), I
wouldn't reject working for them. It seems they offer a good working
environment. And some people do care about over-crowding our planet some more
and therefor have to pay bills;-)

Have fun,

Arnold