[LAD] What do you do for a living?

Charles Henry czhenry at gmail.com
Wed Nov 10 23:05:24 UTC 2010

On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 9:17 PM, Kris C <cpczk at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I understand that a lot of you develop for free software and are passionate
> at what you do.  But how do you pay the bills?  What do you do for a living?
>  Are you a student?  Do you do software development just as a hobby, or do
> you want to make a living doing this kind of work?

I've followed this thread with some interest.  I work as cluster admin for a
university research department--It's decent work, good hrs and benefits.
But also, exhausting.  I have much more fun writing code than wrangling
servers.

Writing open source software is good as a hobby, but also as resume
material.  The jobs in audio software are very competitive, so having some
completed projects will help you a lot.

My current job and projects are (hopefully) a stepping stone to other more
interesting jobs in the future.

Chuck