[LAD] What do you do for a living?

David Olofson david at olofson.net
Wed Nov 10 23:42:55 UTC 2010

Hi,

I've spent the last 12-13 years developing software and firmware for lab
instruments, and I spent a great deal of that time working on Free/Open Source
software that runs on the instruments. Obviously, the generation of
instruments I was involved in developing run Linux + RTAI. ;-)

However, my former employer is no more (the business side completely broke
down as our boss passed away about a year ago), and in the end, nothing came
out of the negotiations with the former partners and competitors. Fortunately,
I got a small bonus out of it: that Free/Open Source software I worked on (the
EEL scripting engine, most importantly) is still mine.

So, right now I'm in the process of starting my own business. While waiting
for the bureaucracy to get to the point where I can actually start working,
I'm working on my new web sites, bringing various projects back to life and
stuff like that. I'll be focusing on two main activities: software development
consulting services and game development.

As to Google, not me... either!

That doesn't have much to do with Google in particular, though. It's just that
I've been doing this since I was a kid, but I still haven't actually achieved
much of what I've wanted to do ever since I started. Well, I did implement my
own programming language, which I'm using for various stuff now, but that's
about it... As far as game development goes, Kobo Deluxe is about it, and
that's not even my own design.

That is, it's about bl**dy time to take a step in the right direction...! And
just thinking about it while wasting all time and energy working on the
"wrong" projects doesn't work. :-)

--
//David Olofson - Consultant, Developer, Artist, Open Source Advocate

.--- Games, examples, libraries, scripting, sound, music, graphics ---.
|   http://consulting.olofson.net          http://olofsonarcade.com   |