[LAD] CUDA implementation for calf

Jens M Andreasen jens.andreasen at comhem.se
Mon Oct 4 13:17:32 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-10-04 at 13:51 +0200, Max Tandetzky wrote:

> I want to make a CUDA implementation of the algorithms from the
> calf-plugins.

Hi Max!

This will work nicely for a massive wholesale "plugin," like say for a
128 channel fully equipped mixer with all the toys on all channels.

> On the front end there should be placed a button (or
> something else) to (de-)activate the CUDA support.

CUDA, X, and RealTime does not fit too well together. Calculate using
3x512 buffers (at 96kHz) in X.

On the console the situation is much better. Since your process - now
that you've skipped X - is the only one running on the GPU, the running
times becomes very deterministic.

Textual interfaces can easily be sqeezed in though. As a proof of
concept, I can run "cyclictest" with 50 threads, displaying their status
in 50 lines, updating themselves so fast they are almost greyed out -
without any impact on the performance of the GPU.

Maybe it would be possible to use GTK on DirectFB as well? I don't
know ... but 'fbtv' runs without realtime problems along with CUDA on
the same GPU, so something civilized should be possible to produce.

--
jedes mal wenn du eine quintparallele verwendest
tötet bach ein kätzchen.

 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43RdmmNaGfQ