[LAD] CUDA implementation for calf

Max Tandetzky max.tandetzky at uni-jena.de
Mon Oct 4 11:51:07 UTC 2010

Hallo,

I am new here, so I hope this is the right place to talk about what I
want to do.
I want to make a CUDA implementation of the algorithms from the
calf-plugins. On the front end there should be placed a button (or
something else) to (de-)activate the CUDA support. I have already
written a jack-program (which makes some simple changes on audio data)
using CUDA. It works good and at a first sight the performance looks
promisingly.

I have read a part of the mailing list archive and found out that there
already was a discussion about audio processing with CUDA. I know there
are some reasons for not using CUDA like the duty to use the proprietary
Nvida driver, the limitation that only people who have an Nvidia card
will have a benefit and so on. But the CUDA implementation may show
which performance can be reached and may beuseful for Nvidia users
immediately.
I know there is OpenCL but it is not as sophisticated as CUDA at the
moment, will have less performance than CUDA and I do not have the time
to learn OpenCl at the moment (but the project has to be finished soon).
I heard it is not too much work to transfer existing CUDA code to OpenCl
code later (assuming there is already an OpenCL implementation for all
CUDA functions which were used).
So I want to do this with CUDA.

At the moment I have some questions:
1. Is there anybody has already done or is doing something like this?
2. Where can I get information to make any specific changes on the calf
code? (I examined it a bit but it will take time to understand the
structure of the program when I only have the code, especially the part
for the GUI seems to be conceptualized a bit more complex.)

It would be nice if I can get some help here.

Regards

Max Tandetzky