[LAD] [ANN] Qtractor 0.4.7 - The Furious Desertrix is out!

Niels Mayer nielsmayer at gmail.com
Tue Oct 5 20:49:10 UTC 2010

On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 8:56 AM, Rui Nuno Capela <rncbc at rncbc.org> wrote:
> there's the global setting by use of qtconfig but maybe that's not what
> you want, 'coz that will affect _all_ qt4 apps

Actually, I like the plastique style enough that I set it as my
desktop KDE default style instead of Oxygen. Solves the problem across
all of your Qt4 apps, makes the clipped text in qtractor's mixer
spinlabels disappear, and makes the rest of KDE work & look nicer as
well! It also seems to fix a taskbar/plasma graphics glitching bug
that the KDE people kept blaming on my totally generic Fedora ATI
graphics drivers and/or my Radeon HD3300 integrated on my Mobo... even
though it only happened in Qt4 apps. Bug seems gone now.... Thanks for
the suggestion!

Changing to plastique style in Meego's qtconfig-qt4 didn't have any
adverse affects on the meego desktop or default apps (since they don't
actually use Qt and use gnome or clutter).

> afaict, zynaddsubfx's jack implementation is infamously prone to xruns
> or so i've been told, so maybe there's no big chance in improving the
> situation by changing audio interfaces

Once again thanks for the expertise and confirmation this is a
problem. For some strange reason a 4x 3.4G 64 bit system didn't seem
to have any Xrun problems with even the hairiest DSSI zynaddsubfx
voices, so I didn't realize this was a problem. I was using
zynaddsubfx's DSSI plugin in qtractor -- would this also suffer from
the issues of the jack implementation? Other DSSI plugins I tried did
not produce Xruns, and in fact the Xruns were very much
voice-dependent in zynaddsubfx's DSSI plug. I had thought that with
limited resources, I'd be better off using a DSSI plugin within
qtractor to avoid lots of context switching between processes,
associated cache-misses, and other badness.... I'll try running it
with Yoshimi, given that I've built my own for fedora and I've already
confirmed I can pretty much run or build any Fedora program quite
easily on Meego:
	http://nielsmayer.com/npm/yoshimi-0.058-1.build.txt
	http://nielsmayer.com/npm/yoshimi-0.058-1.fc12.src.rpm
	http://nielsmayer.com/npm/yoshimi-0.058-1.fc12.x86_64.rpm