[LAD] on the soft synth midi jitters ...

David Olofson david at olofson.net
Sun Oct 10 12:39:55 UTC 2010

On Sunday 10 October 2010, at 10.01.09, Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-
dsl.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 2010-10-10 at 17:59 +1300, Jeff McClintock wrote:
> > I do use licensed software. I am quite anti-piracy
>
> If so, than pardon :). Anyway strange, a lot of the famous studios did
> use Cubase without getting jitter for soft synth, today those studios do
> use Nuendo.

Are they actually using the softsynths for monitor sound when *recording*
"live" MIDI?

I don't know how most people work these days, in my experience, one tends to
have the MIDI stuff sequenced and arranged already when arriving at the
studio, in which case "live" MIDI latency and jitter are no issues.

> I never experienced jitter for soft synth, when using Cubase
> and I do hear allegedly inaudible jitter when using external MIDI
> devices.

There has to be quite a bit of jitter before one actually hears it as such,
and as to fixed latency, tolerances are even higher.

Most people apparently don't even hear the "random" timing that's applied to
anything you play on a hardware synth driven via standard MIDI - but if you're
used to oldschool trackers and other software with sample accurate timing, you
can tell something is "off".

(Obviously, this would be next to impossible to notice unless we're dealing
with 100% quantized electronic music. "Human feel" would probably mask
anything that's off by less than one or two ms or so.)

As to live playing, I doubt a normal human being would even know what (s)he's
missing before actually trying something with sub 3 ms latency and sub 1 ms
jitter. You can't hear the difference, but you can certainly feel it! I
suspect drummers would be particularly sensitive to this.

--
//David Olofson - Developer, Artist, Open Source Advocate

.--- Games, examples, libraries, scripting, sound, music, graphics ---.
|  http://olofson.net   http://kobodeluxe.com   http://audiality.org  |
|  http://eel.olofson.net  http://zeespace.net   http://reologica.se  |