[LAD] Mouse/knob interaction

Chris Cannam cannam at all-day-breakfast.com
Tue Sep 7 19:24:42 UTC 2010

On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 7:23 PM, Gabriel M. Beddingfield
<gabrbedd at gmail.com> wrote:
> circle: no.
> up and down: yes.
> scroll wheel: yes.
> left and right: up to you.

Agreed on all counts.  Of course you can make them respond to
horizontal motion as well, without screwing up people who expect
vertical motion, by taking the max of horizontal and vertical
displacement as the displacement to use.

You don't give quite enough information, though -- there is some
discrepancy out there with regard to whether moving the mouse up
should move the rotary towards the start or end of its travel (i.e. up
= anticlockwise, down = clockwise or the reverse).  I had to go and
test some rotary controllers to remind myself which behaviour my hand
expects, and it turns out it's up = clockwise.

Chris