[LAD] Finding ALSA sequencer client/port numbers

Dominic Sacré dominic.sacre at gmx.de
Fri Apr 22 21:24:47 UTC 2011

On Friday 22 April 2011 22:45:34 Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> after reading ASLA docs for some hours I've not found an
> answer to the following:
>
> Given the ALSA sequencer client and port _names_, find the
> numbers required to set up a connection (a 'subscription'
> in ALSA lingo).

ALSA client and port names are not required to be unique.

I think the best you can do is query all clients and their ports
(snd_seq_query_next_client() etc.) until you find one with the name
you're looking for, and then just hope you got the right one...

By the way, aconnect seems to do the same (badly).

Dominic