[LAD] Finding ALSA sequencer client/port numbers

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Fri Apr 22 23:22:22 UTC 2011

On Fri, Apr 22, 2011 at 06:55:18PM -0400, Paul Davis wrote:

> for myself, i think its reasonable accurate to say that ALSA's
> identification of MIDI ports is totally FUBAR'ed. this doesn't help
> much.

:-) or mayby :-(

> i'm not quite sure what you mean about ardour (2's) behaviour, but its
> not on my mind much at this point since ardour3 doesn't use ALSA MIDI
> for anything at all, and will not do so again.

The names of input and output ports being identical. In this case
the port numbers are the same as well, so it's still possible to
look up a port by name and get the correct result.

Looking up by name is required if the port numbers can't be predicted.
It's also a bit more 'user friendly' to use names instead of numbers...

Regarding Ardour (A2) I do have another question.

It seems that sending the OSC command /ardour/transport_play
a second time has the effect of locating back to the previous
start position and resuming play from there. Could be useful,
but is this intentional ? The 'Start' widget does not behave
like that - a second click is just ignored.

Ciao,

--
FA