[LAD] Finding ALSA sequencer client/port numbers

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Fri Apr 22 22:55:18 UTC 2011

On Fri, Apr 22, 2011 at 6:30 PM, Fons Adriaensen <fons at linuxaudio.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 22, 2011 at 06:06:54PM -0400, David Robillard wrote:
>
>> Alsa sequencer names aren't unique or intended for use as identifiers,
>> you probably don't want to do this if it's at all possible to avoid...
>
> If that's true, what purpose do they have at all ?
>
> In this concrete case, I have Python class which acts as
> an interface to the Novation Launchpad. I want its ports
> to connect to the launchpad, as any other connection
> wouldn't make any sense at all. I know the names of
> the required ports, but not the numbers.

for myself, i think its reasonable accurate to say that ALSA's
identification of MIDI ports is totally FUBAR'ed. this doesn't help
much.

i'm not quite sure what you mean about ardour (2's) behaviour, but its
not on my mind much at this point since ardour3 doesn't use ALSA MIDI
for anything at all, and will not do so again.