[LAD] Yoshimi needs a new maintainer ... (was: Yoshimi Midi Learn: 1st testing release)

rosea grammostola rosea.grammostola at gmail.com
Sun Aug 14 12:05:55 UTC 2011

On 07/06/2011 02:26 PM, Alessandro Preziosi (licnep) wrote:
> Hi Renato,
> it's me, licnep, i just recently joined this mailing list after the
> post about the midi learn branch of yoshimi.
> Thanks for the feedback.
> My midi learn branch is built on top of the new 0.62 branch (that will
> be the next official yoshimi release) so some of the changes you see
> are not made by me. For example about the UI i only changed the way
> knobs look and, of course, added the midi controllers window. In
> particular i agree that I don't like the fact that you have to right
> click to edit an instrument, i find it counter intuitive, even after a
> lot of time of using it i still get it wrong, so i hope it will be
> reverted back to normal before the next release.
> As for the annoying scale bug, i think it was corrected in the
> previous 0.60 branch, maybe the correction has just not yet been added
> to the 0.62, but it will, i think.
>
> I haven't yet personally asked for a merge, the code is not really
> ready yet, and the main devs don't have much time to review it now.
> Anyway i hope the midi learn feature will join in the main branch
> sooner or later, it was not my original intent to create yet another
> fork.
Now that the original maintainer Alan "Cal" Calvert has passed away (as
mentioned in a other thread and elsewhere
(http://tributes.couriermail.com.au/obituaries/couriermail-au/obituary-preview.aspx?n=alan-ernest-calvert-cal&pid=152381356&referrer=2794)

It might be good if Yoshimi gets a new maintainer, it a very valuable
project. http://yoshimi.sourceforge.net/

A other possibility might be to merge the changes in Yoshimi back to
Zynaddsubfx. http://zynaddsubfx.sourceforge.net/

Regards,
\r