[LAD] ALAC codec being added to libsndfile

Georg Holzmann grh at mur.at
Thu Dec 15 22:10:30 UTC 2011

Hallo Erik and List!

> Just an FYI. I am in the process of adding support for Apple's lossless
> Audio Codec (ALAC) [0] to libsndfile. Should be done my the end of the
> weekend.

Did you already have some progress in implementing ALAC support ?

I just tried to compile the Apple source code and run into some problems:
- First the makefile did not work, see [1]
- According to this thread [2] the encoded files don't even play in iTunes
- they have a new "magic cookie" and I did not find any compatible
player (ffmpeg seems to have a fix now [3])

Someone in the hydrogenaudio forum added some fixes:
- see [4], code is at http://perkele.cc/software/ALAC
- for linux you have to change ag_dev.c (line 113, remove "{") and
ag_enc.c (line 88, remove "{")
- however, that seems to be mostly for windows, I am still not sure if
the encoded files are correct ...

I am just curious if you had some progress, otherwise I will do some
more experiments ...

Thanks for any hints!
LG
Georg

[1]: http://alac.macosforge.org/trac/ticket/1
[2]:
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=91530&pid=774240&mode=threaded&show=&st=#entry774240
[3]:
http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/ffmpeg-cvslog/2011-November/042755.html
[4]:
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=91530&pid=778407&mode=threaded&start=#entry778407

--
audio development, machine learning, open source and more
http://auphonic.com