[LAD] Dealing with time

Harry Van Haaren harryhaaren at gmail.com
Mon Feb 21 20:02:55 UTC 2011

Hey,

In my own pet project I've abstracted things like samplerate, sample time,
MIDI time and anything else to
one value, which I've lovingly named "beatPercent". Its a single "float"
variable.

The value itself is the musical "beat" of the event, and the "Percent" part,
is how far along that beat the event occurs.
Of course depending on samplerate etc etc there may be a (tiny) discrepancy
in this "percent" value, but I can
happily live with that.

Keep in mind that the project only deals with standard 4 / 4 music, and I've
no intrest in weird but wonderful timing
games. I wanted something that would abstract away all jack_nframes, timer
ticks etc and I could easily work with.

I haven't found any big drawbacks yet, but I'm not trying to develop SMPTE
or MTC or anything either, so there may
be issues that I haven't come across yet.

Hope that was of some help, -Harry