[LAD] [ANN] IR: LV2 Convolution Reverb

David Robillard d at drobilla.net
Tue Feb 22 20:34:26 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-02-22 at 13:55 -0500, Paul Davis wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 1:50 PM, Stefano D'Angelo <zanga.mail at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I didn't follow the whole discussion, but I just want to toss out one
> > not-so-stupid-as-it-may-seem possibility: HTML + CSS + JS. Take a look
> > at YUI.
>
> I wrote an XML schema for plugin GUIs, oh, about 8 years ago.
>
> Plugin developers who write their own GUIs aren't interested in
> learning another not-in-my-toolkit method of trying to get the thing
> to look right. Either they don't care, and they leave it to the host,
> or they do care, and these meta-toolkit methods are inadequate to meet
> their goals.

HTML/etc. is a very different thing from some random XML format for a
particular purpose. It is the most widely known, deployed, and portable
UI technology by a very, very, very wide margin, and this is only going
to get more true over time. Nobody ever got fired for buying HTML, so to
speak.

(Within LV2, as far as host generated UIs go, it makes more sense to
define that data in Turtle, but that's a different approach entirely
than making a "UI" in the toolkit sense).

-dr