[LAD] [ANN] IR: LV2 Convolution Reverb

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Wed Feb 23 15:05:00 UTC 2011

On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 04:43:50PM +0300, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:

> Do you close your eyes and
> pretend not to hear anything when you keep seing new cloud computing
> services popping up with a workiing business model behind them,
> because they contradict your view of a perfect world to live in?

When I seen somehting that contradicts my view of a perfect world,
and that thing is likely to affect me or people or things I care
about, then I do not close my eyes, and I have every right to
critisize it. Even if you don't like that or if it interferes
with your dreams. Or do you say 'these are not dreams, what I
mean to say is that resistance is futile and you will be
assimilated' ? In that case we don't have a conspiracy _theory_,
but a real one.

> Quite a number of modern hospitals have centralized data storage
> as well.

That usually was centralised even before the days of computers.

> Would you resist being transferred to
> such a hospital, because information will be centralized?

Not because it is centralised (I rather expect it to be). But
I would certainly object to it being given to a third party
which has nothing to do with running medical services, but
only with exploiting the data it is handling for commercial
gain.

If providers of 'cloud computing' would be serious about data
and privacy protection they would use systems that allow the
users to protect their data in a verifiable way. This is not
what I see happening: they do the inverse and force the user
to make his data exploitable. Because *that* is the business
model.

Like everything essentially driven by greed, it would be sort
of acceptable (on a voluntary basis) if either

* the relation between the parties is regulated by law,
  ensuring a fair deal for both and protection of basic
  rights of the weakest one,

* or the parties have approximately equal power, ensuring
  'mutual damage' if any of them misbehaves towards the
  other.

None of the two conditions is satisfied, e.g. in the case
of Google, Facebook, and the likes.

--
FA