[LAD] [ANN] IR: LV2 Convolution Reverb

Alexandre Prokoudine alexandre.prokoudine at gmail.com
Wed Feb 23 16:55:31 UTC 2011

On 2/23/11, Fons Adriaensen wrote:

>> Do you close your eyes and
>> pretend not to hear anything when you keep seing new cloud computing
>> services popping up with a workiing business model behind them,
>> because they contradict your view of a perfect world to live in?
>
> When I seen somehting that contradicts my view of a perfect world,
> and that thing is likely to affect me or people or things I care
> about, then I do not close my eyes, and I have every right to
> critisize it.

Fair enough :) My point however was about strangely easy dismissal of
modern web technologies. I'd hate to see Linux behind the game *again*
just because some old fashioned people who control essential parts of
the ecosystem decided that things they don't personally like won't
happen. Don't get me wrong -- there's nothing bad about being
old-fashioned, I am one in many ways :) But there's time and place.

For how many years did we have to use Rosegarden/MusE and Ardour *and*
Hydrogen simultaneously just to get *basic* DAW functionality only
because everyone went on saying things like "Oh, this is UNIX
philosophy -- do one thing and do it well" or "Divide and conqer"? So,
we divided, and what have we conquered? :) After so many years we are
ending up with A3 approaching that has integrated MIDI and audio
anyway, a decade (too?) late.

Even our open approach to multitude of toolkits is biting us in the
arse (LV2 again), whereas we are supposed to be having it by the
throat.

What I'd really like to see is some perspective. I'm not talking about
visionaries, gods, no :) I'm talking about acknowledgement of where
the industry is heading to and how we can part of the future without
trading off our essential values (and rights).

Honestly, in 12 years that I've been following libre audio and
graphics project I've had enough of "me-too-ism". It's about time we
had some "you-don't-but-we-do-ism" for difference's sake :) There are
perfectly valid and safe ways to do it, and this is already taking
place, but in a rather scattered, disorganized way.

> If providers of 'cloud computing' would be serious about data
> and privacy protection they would use systems that allow the
> users to protect their data in a verifiable way.

Verifiable how exactly?

> This is not what I see happening: they do the inverse and force
> the user to make his data exploitable.

Exactly how they do it? Please use SoundCloud as example.

> Like everything essentially driven by greed, it would be sort
> of acceptable (on a voluntary basis) if either
>
> * the relation between the parties is regulated by law,
>   ensuring a fair deal for both and protection of basic
>   rights of the weakest one,

And it isn't taking place? Exactly why?

Alexandre Prokoudine
http://libregraphicsworld.org