[LAD] LAD Activity (WAS: [ANN] IR: LV2 Convolution Reverb)

Alexandre Prokoudine alexandre.prokoudine at gmail.com
Wed Feb 23 17:45:55 UTC 2011

On 2/23/11, Philipp Überbacher wrote:

>> > If it needs a social networking thing for some reason, maybe diaspora
>> > will do the trick? With diaspora chances are better that someone will
>> > write a good user interface of some sort.
>>
>> Yes, diaspora is much closer to what's required.
>
> But the question is whether the whole writing stuff is necessary and
> adds something. Social networks are general purpose, not special
> purpose. Writing stuff there is additional effort.

It's a valid concern. Updating status of projects is the last thing
developers usually do. OTOH, twitting/denting about what they are up
to is a very, very usual thing, because these services make it so easy
to share and are rather tuned for sharing what's important in very
little time (140 symbols limit). So it's a question of implementation.
In other words: if you can't do something with few clicks, it won't
work :)

>> Yes, a good idea IMO would be a service on top of existing service
>> like github, twitter etc. They all expose API after all, no?
>
> Each of those will be used by some people at most, so do you want to tie
> them all together? Basing everything on a single service such as github
> will force people to choose between exclusion or adoption of said
> service, a really bad idea.

I wouldn't dream of basing on a single service. At the very least
Gitorious and Bitbucket have to be considered as well.

>> Now, here is why rss, email et al don't do a good work enough: they
>> don't provide perspective and they don't expose connections between
>> people right away.
>
> There could be a catch-all mailinglist. For rss and the likes, there
> are aggregators like planet (which is in use already, for example:
> http://planet.linuxaudio.org/ [but includes stuff like Traktor...])

You mean Create Digital Music's feed? Personally I find CDM a great
resource for broadening horizons. Especially since Peter Kirn does
quite a bit of PR for Ardour, not mentioning their work on open source
hardware. I'd hate to see the community closed to things happening
outside it.

Alexandre Prokoudine
http://libregraphicsworld.org