[LAD] LAD Activity (WAS: [ANN] IR: LV2 Convolution Reverb)

Philipp Überbacher hollunder at lavabit.com
Wed Feb 23 18:43:26 UTC 2011

Excerpts from Alexandre Prokoudine's message of 2011-02-23 18:45:55 +0100:

> >> Yes, diaspora is much closer to what's required.
> >
> > But the question is whether the whole writing stuff is necessary and
> > adds something. Social networks are general purpose, not special
> > purpose. Writing stuff there is additional effort.
>
> It's a valid concern. Updating status of projects is the last thing
> developers usually do. OTOH, twitting/denting about what they are up
> to is a very, very usual thing, because these services make it so easy
> to share and are rather tuned for sharing what's important in very
> little time (140 symbols limit). So it's a question of implementation.
> In other words: if you can't do something with few clicks, it won't
> work :)

Email can work without clicks and is really easy. Maybe I'm just old
(I'm not), but I sure won't start twittering and don't even know what
denting is but we agree that it should be simple to keep others
informed.

> >> Yes, a good idea IMO would be a service on top of existing service
> >> like github, twitter etc. They all expose API after all, no?
> >
> > Each of those will be used by some people at most, so do you want to tie
> > them all together? Basing everything on a single service such as github
> > will force people to choose between exclusion or adoption of said
> > service, a really bad idea.
>
> I wouldn't dream of basing on a single service. At the very least
> Gitorious and Bitbucket have to be considered as well.

Then you have three big ones covered but leave out everyone who hosts
code himself or somewhere else. I don't think this is an optimal
solution.

> >> Now, here is why rss, email et al don't do a good work enough: they
> >> don't provide perspective and they don't expose connections between
> >> people right away.
> >
> > There could be a catch-all mailinglist. For rss and the likes, there
> > are aggregators like planet (which is in use already, for example:
> > http://planet.linuxaudio.org/ [but includes stuff like Traktor...])
>
> You mean Create Digital Music's feed? Personally I find CDM a great
> resource for broadening horizons. Especially since Peter Kirn does
> quite a bit of PR for Ardour, not mentioning their work on open source
> hardware. I'd hate to see the community closed to things happening
> outside it.

Nothing about CDM, I know that Peter Kirn covers free software, but
there are plenty of ways to get informed about commercial offerings on
other OSes, we don't need another one. This doesn't mean 'closing up to
the outside' but focusing on the task at hand.
I do think the traktor thing was just a mistake. Something seems wrong
on CDM's side, the Traktor thing is filed under
"Create Digital Music » Linux" and some MAX/MSP/Live stuff under "Create
Digital Music » open-source". Maybe http://planet.linuxaudio.org/ would
be enough already if it was a bit moderated, better known and devs
blogging a bit more.